On April 22nd each year, we celebrate Earth Day. It is a great reminder to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle! A perfect example is observing the habits of my 3 year old daughter and realizing I have plenty of teachable moments to show her how we can be much kinder to the environment!
Example #1) After school while I cook dinner, she plays on her own and sometimes draws. This week, I noticed that she had taken literally 5 sheets of white paper and scribbled a tiny bit on each page. What a great lesson to teach her to REDUCE the number of pages and just use 1 paper until it is all filled up!
Example #2) My daughter’s school had a special Earth Day Celebration that included a petting zoo, music performance, face painting, art projects, and of course snacks. They provided mini paper cups of lemonade for the kids to take. My daughter finished her first cup and then threw it away, only to return to the snack table and grab a new cup. No no, let’s REUSE our cup and ask the teacher to refill it with some more lemonade, right?
Example #3) Everyday after school, it is part of our daily routine when we arrive home to check the mail before entering the house. Normally, my daughter takes everything out of the mailbox and gives it to me. I decided to let her help me sort through “junk” mail and “important” mail this week, and she helped me RECYCLE the “junk” mail into our recycling bin. Good job!
Earth Day is everyday! But if anything, having a special day designated for Earth Day each year forces people like myself to take extra notice on how wasteful or hurtful we may be to the environment! Every little bit matters…
For my Power Class this week, I made an Earth playlist. To be honest, it was pretty hard finding upbeat songs about taking care of the Earth, but I came up with a decent list. For my sequence this week, I am adding in as many standing balancing poses as I can. We will be using our feet, our roots, to symbolize our connection with the ground and Earth below us just like the roots of a tree. Enjoy!
Power Yoga Playlist – “Earth” (75 minutes)
Introduction / Pose Breakdown / Breathwork:
1) “Earth Song,” by Michael Jackson, 6:46
Sun Salutations A & B:
2) “We Are Here,” by Alicia Keys, 4:44
3) “One Tribe,” by The Black Eyed Peas, 4:41
Standing Work Series:
4) “Give Love,” by MC Yogi, 3:40
5) “Paradise (On Earth),” by Cris Cab, 3:46
6) “On Top Of The World,” by Imagine Dragons, 3:10
7) “Earth From Outer Space,” by Michael Franti, 3:51
8) “Hall of Fame,” by The Script, 3:23
9) “Wavin’ Flag,” by K-Naan, 3:33
10) “We Will Shine,” by MC Yogi, 4:06
11) “One Day,” by Matisyahu, 3:28
Backbending / Core Work:
12) “Where Is The Love?” by The Black Eyed Peas, 4:33
13) “Everything Is Everything,” by Lauryn Hill, 4:53
14) “If You’re Out There,” by John Legend, 4:20
Hips / Deep Stretching:
15) “Somewhere Over the Rainbow,” by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole, 5:08
16) “Gone,” by Jack Johnson, 2:08
17) “Imagine,” by John Lennon, 3:04
18) “What a Wonderful World,” by Celine Dion, 3:47
19) “So Much Magnificence,” by Deva Premal
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares drop off like autumn leaves.”
~ John Muir